Spotlight on: The Journalist’s Toolbox
The Journalist’s Toolbox is a continuously updated list links to useful links and resources for reporters, editors and academics on a wide range of topics including copy editing, search engines, business news, ethics and global journalism. The service is hosted by the Society of Professional Journalists in Indianapolis, Indiana, US.
“The Journalist’s Toolbox started as 10 links off an online news-writing syllabus when I taught at Medill in the late 1990s,” explained Reilly in a recent interview with ProfNet. “I turned it into a dot-com in 2000, sold it to the American Press Institute in 2002, then resold to SPJ (Society of Professional Journalists) in 2007. SPJ has been a great home for the Toolbox and elevated what we can do with it. I update the site 2-3 times a week with helpful tools for journalists. The site is organized by beats/topics for newsrooms.”
An interview with Mike Reilly by Maria Perez for ProfNet on the topic of online news for journalists, January 2012
Published: June 13, 2012
- Emergency Journalism Toolkit
- DocumentCloud: Analyse, Annotate, Publish.
- Spokeo the People Search Engine
- Pixlr Photo Editing Services
- Storyplanet - Beta: Power to the Story
- Help a Reporter Out (HARO)
- Scoopinion: Bringing You High Quality Journalism One Article at a Time
- NewsDiffs: Tracking Online News Over Time
- (View full archive)