Media News - Monday, August 27, 2012
The Philippine National Police said that early Friday morning officials raided some 20 residences and arrested 357 people as part of a massive investigation into online fraud and account theft ring. According to police, the groups had been calling individuals in China, posing as Chinese state police members. The scammers told victims that their bank accounts had been compromised by hackers and instructed them to transfer all of their funds to a supposed "safe account" controlled by the criminals. Police said that the suspects were mostly nationals of Taiwan and mainland China who had moved their operation to the Philippines following a Chinese police crackdown on cyber crime and fraud operations. Sophos security blogger Paul Roberts noted that the large-scale raids were part of a larger joint operation between authorities in China and the Philippines to target criminals who were preying on Chinese citizens from abroad. (V3.co.uk)
Join our Media News mailinglist with over 12.000 subscribers.
The Media News archive contains over 15.000 items so it is advised to narrow your search.
- WikiLeaks announces partnership with Brazilian investigative journalism center
- Acclaimed photo was faked
- Euronews launches Arabic feed
- Iran: Leading women’s magazine forced to close
- US: Nonprofit website plans watchdog journalism for Orange County
- New website reaches out to EU Neighbourhood Journalists
- Internet censorship plagues journalists at Olympics
- Sweden: Tax on press advertising to be abolished
- MySpace opens doors to developers MySpace webpage
- Startup lets public test conversational Web search